Lina and Vi: My Design Process

Wednesday, July 29, 2015

My Design Process


Today I'm talking about the process. I focus a lot here on the outcome - a new burlap bag, a DIY project, or a brand new product. But, how do I get there?

I spent some time thinking about this during the last few weeks knowing that I wanted to write a bit about it and open it up for discussion with others in the online sewing community.  Just like everything else in life, the path we each take to get somewhere can be so different, but where we end up can be so similar.  Sewing bags, pillows, and other items is no different.

I wish I could say that I had a linear design process, where I start thinking of a new bag design, sketch it out, select materials, and start cutting, but I don't. There are times when I skip everything and start cutting, not entirely sure where I'm going but I'm working through it with my ruler and rotary cutter. Then there are days where I start sketching bag designs and try to get a variety of ideas going to see which sticks, but then I end up creating the first idea in mind....so why did I spend time sketching?

It all feels like a big tangle of ideas sometimes, and since I sew Lina and Vi items without patterns, I don't always have a clear picture of what I'll end up with and the sequenced steps on how to get there. Sometimes I wish I did, but honestly, a lot of my best ideas have been improvised as I went.

So, maybe the planning and design process is more for turning the wheels for me - sort of like overcoming the writer's block. Only once I start working with my hands with a vague idea of what I'm trying to end up with do I really start the design process.

What about you? When you sew, or do anything creative, do you always have a specific design process you follow? Love to hear it!

Erica


No comments:

Post a Comment