Lina and Vi: Latest Home Decor DIY Sewing Project

Thursday, May 15, 2014

Latest Home Decor DIY Sewing Project

I never thought the day would come when I would not only care about window treatments, but actually attempt to sew one from scratch. Well, that day has come, and I'm here to share some photos of a work in progress for this week's update.

I am redecorating a small bathroom in our home so it has more personality, and as a result, I'm taking down some really, well, interesting window valences in part of that redesign. The current valence on the window in this bathroom is black with yellow and white plaid print. Yep, I know. It was a man-cave.

After trying to search for a 3 inch pocket valence I could purchase and not having any luck, I opted to sew one myself using some chocolate brown and mint home decor fabric. Last night, I started progress on the project. Below are a few raw photos of the work in progress.

At the end of the night, I ended up with one complete valence. No pattern, and well, not a lot of measurements since I was learning as I went along. The next step is to duplicate this so that there are two, and the valence will be full across the approximately 50" window width.
 linaandvi.blogspot.com // DIY window valence
This is my first shot at working with this type of home decor fabric, especially the shiny brown material that you see above. Honestly, it was tough to keep the two fabrics together on the machine because one is heavier and one is silkier. I think this might be a good project to use a walking foot. I haven't worked with a walking foot before, but I did receive one with my Brother sewing machine.

I plan to share more about how I made these valences once the project is complete. Nothing new for the Ground Collection right now, but I am planning a few future posts to talk through working with burlap and styling the bags with everyday outfits.

Thanks for stopping by!
Erica

No comments:

Post a Comment