Lina and Vi: DIY Wooden Dollhouse Bookshelf

Friday, October 5, 2018

DIY Wooden Dollhouse Bookshelf



DIY Wood Girls Dollhouse Bookshelf

It's been a while since I shared some of the projects from around my house, and I am finally getting around to posting about this fun DIY dollhouse bookshelf in my daughter's room. I saw a similar dollhouse shelf on another blog, but it was manufactured by a big box retailer and for a pretty high price. With my husband's woodworking skills and tools, he took my vision and made it into reality. I am thrilled with how it turned out so let me walk through some of the details of it with you.

I opted for a more traditional dollhouse frame, with three levels for books. The bottom of the dollhouse is trimmed with moulding. The sides each have two windows in fun shapes with shoe moulding trim. My husband is very detailed oriented (like me), and he loves to add embellishments with his woodworking projects, especially if it gives him the opportunity to try a new technique or skill. So, he opted to add the scalloped awning on the room that you see trim the top roofline. Once that was done, he painted it white and anchored it to the wall so it would be safe for a child who may pull on it.

                      DIY Wood Girls Dollhouse Bookshelf

                DIY Wood Girls Dollhouse Bookshelf


I really love this dollhouse bookshelf for a couple of reasons. It's pretty versatile - it is functional as a bookshelf like you see here, but when my daughter is old enough, we can take the books off and use it for play. I like that it is not just an ordinary bookshelf. It is whimsical and fits perfectly in a child's room to evoke imagination and playfulness. Lastly, it is special because my husband made it with his hands for our daughter. I hope she will appreciate that as she gets older, and it can remind her to be creative in her daily life.

If you are interested in seeing a full tour of my daughter's nursery, you can check it out here. As with all of the projects I share on the blog, sewing or not, I hope this inspires you to think outside the box and take a leap to create something with your own hands and skills.

Thanks for stopping by!
Erica



No comments:

Post a Comment