Lina and Vi: DIY "Grow Old with Me" Distressed Wood Wall Decor

Sunday, October 9, 2016

DIY "Grow Old with Me" Distressed Wood Wall Decor

grow old with me the best is yet to be wall hanging - DIY - linaandvi.com

Today I'm sharing a recent DIY that is not sewing related. We all need to take a break time and again to try out new skills and materials. I recently had the desire to swap out another DIY wall canvas to brighten up my bedroom. The black and white enlarged photo of logs I had taken while up north a couple of years ago added to the darkness of the room. Keeping with the same black and white palette, I opted to create a white wooden wall hanging that would pop against the beige walls and bring more interest above the bed. And sticking with the DIY theme, I used my Silhouette Cameo and my handy husband to create this fun design.

I asked my husband for his help to create the wooden pallet shape, and he was up for the challenge. He purchased cheap grade 2"x4" wood at the local hardware store and used a hand saw to cut them into varying lengths. The hand saw tool was his idea, as he thought it would give the overall design more of a rustic, distressed look which is what I wanted for the end product. He staggered the pieces and screwed them to two vertical wooden pieces that form the back of the pallet. That was it. He handed it over to me to paint it and seal it.

Like many, I have grown to love the HGTV show "Fixer Upper" this past year, and I was inspired by a square metal wall hanging offered in the online Magnolia shop with this exact saying carved into it. I knew that I did not want metal in my bedroom. With a room already having a dark and masculine color scheme, metal felt like a material that was too harsh and cold for my bedroom. I borrowed the idea to use this saying, which originates from a Robert Browning poem, and used my Silhouette Cameo to electronically cut the words on adhesive vinyl.

I spray-painted the raw wood with spare black spray paint leftover from another project. After the paint was dry, I opted to use this crackle paint medium that I also have leftover from a previous project. There are a variety of different mediums you can use depending on the look of the final product. I found my medium at my local craft store, and it worked great to provide another element of distress. I then stuck the vinyl words to the wood and used leftover white house paint to paint over everything. Once dry, I peeled off the vinyl words to reveal the black underneath. Finally, I touched up the letters with black paint and painted a clear sealer on top.





Aside from the wood, everything else used to make this wooden pallet sign was material I already had in my crafting stash and garage. Overall, it took a few evenings to make this sign given the time needed to wait between coats of paint. This project is extra special because it was a joint effort between me and my husband.  This sign now hangs above our bed, and it really brightens up the space and makes it feel much warmer.

grow old with me the best is yet to be wall hanging - DIY - linaandvi.com


It feels like I've said this a million times here, and to any random person who will listen, that I truly love my Silhouette Cameo. It makes projects like this so much easier. I'm excited to see what I do with it during the next few months as we head into holiday decorating season. I started a Pinterest board to collect ideas for my Cameo, and I'm always looking for more tips and tricks so please share!

Thanks for stopping by,
Erica



No comments:

Post a Comment