Lina and Vi: A Few Updates Plus New AeroPress Burlap Cases!

Sunday, May 1, 2016

A Few Updates Plus New AeroPress Burlap Cases!


 Things have been quiet over here on the blog these past few weeks, but today I am back to share a few updates! This time of the year tends to be the busiest for me plus a few unexpected events, including several birthdays scattered in a few short weeks, Mother's day, a funeral, a conference for my daytime work, and less than desirable travel schedule for my husband. I'm also gearing up for my first local farmer's market starting on Saturday in downtown Plymouth which I'm very excited about and hoping that the weather holds up. Please come visit my table and say hi if you are local!

In the midst of it all, I was happy to be able to work on a couple of custom orders during the evenings, one of which I am sharing with you today. Our friends over at RoosRoast reached out to us with a special request to design custom burlap travel cases with a waterproof interior for their popular AeroPress travel coffee brewers (I don't have an AeroPress so these photos are taken with an espresso maker). These five custom zipper cases are sewn from upcycled coffee bean burlap sacks featuring industrial text authentic to the original bags. I choose a neutral colored fabric for the bottom exterior of the bags to keep it balanced with the colorful interiors.



Each bag features a different patterned fabric interior lining along with a small slide pocket to hold the filters separate from the device. It is difficult to see in these photos, however to make the interior waterproof, I chose a thin gauge clear vinyl that I layered on top of the lining fabric so that it could easily be wiped down and cleaned out. Coffee makers, especially when traveling, may not have the convenience of being cleaned and dry before being put back into their travel case. I wanted to ensure that the interior was durable and protected. The vinyl was the best option to make it clear that it is okay to put a wet device inside the case without permanently staining the interior fabric.


From a sewing perspective, I will be honest - sewing with clear vinyl was a challenge. To test it out, I sewed one case from start to finish to see the end product, and from that experience, I was able to tweak a few things on my sewing machine and do some research online to find some useful machine hacks for making it a bit easier to sew. When all is said and done, I like how they turned out, and the best part is that I didn't have to sacrifice design in order to make the interior waterproof.

These zipper cases are made exclusively for RoosRoast and will be available for purchase in their Ann Arbor shop later this week. Stop by to grab a cup of coffee and shop their merchandise section to find my items and other handmade goods made by local artisans.

I'll be back this week sharing my recent DIY birthday banner using my Silhouette Cameo. I hope you are having a great end to your weekend!

Thanks for stopping by!

Erica

1 comment: