Lina and Vi: Compass Throw Pillow DIY with Silhouette Cameo

Saturday, January 30, 2016

Compass Throw Pillow DIY with Silhouette Cameo


Everyday, I get more excited about the things that I can now do with my new Cameo.  Earlier this month, I mentioned how I was gifted a Cameo for Christmas and how I found out quickly that I previously underestimated the application of this electronic cutter to my typical crafting projects. Well, I've been gradually learning more and more how to use the software these past few weeks, and I'm happy to report that I'm feeling more confident...confident enough to (carefully) open one of my store bought throw pillows to add some DIY love to it using some heat transfer vinyl!

Although this isn't technically a sewing DIY, it's something that could be an added to any sewing project so I wanted to share here as an example for anyone looking for new ideas in home decor. It just so happened that I was looking to change up the decor in our spare bedroom and I didn't want to throw away a perfectly good black pillow. Previously, there were two black pillows on this bed (I may, or may not, have taken the second pillow as an innocent bystander in a moment of despair when I needed stuffing for a project a few years ago). They coordinate with the comforter, but I also felt that they added to the room's darkness and to a serious, stiff feel. I wanted to make something that coordinated with the traveling theme that I've currently got going in this bedroom.


So, I opened it up with a seam ripper, took out the stuffing, and used a hot iron to adhere this fun compass design that I created using the Silhouette Studio software. I won't lie, it took me about an hour to get this compass design straight and symmetrical. I did use an image I found on a Google search to trace in the software, and then I manually retraced on top of the traced image to straighten the arrows and use a different font for the North, West, South, and East letters.


I used flocked white heat transfer material. I didn't know what 'flocked' meant - obviously a vinyl cutting newbie, but it was part of the heat transfer starter kit that came with my Silhouette. Now I know that it means a fuzzy, velvet like finish, which turned out as a great fit to use with a pillow. It's soft, unlike normal heat transfer vinyl, so it doesn't show crease lines when adhered to a curved, overstuffed pillow.

Obviously, this project was made much easier with an electronic cutter than if I had to cut the vinyl by hand, but it could be done. Alternatively, if I didn't have the Silhouette, I could have printed a design from my computer and traced it to freezer paper and used a freezer paper stencil and fabric paint to stencil on the design.

This project took some time but I love how it turned out. I hope it inspires you to get creative and try something new by revising or editing items you already have around your home.

Have a great weekend!
Erica

No comments:

Post a Comment