Lina and Vi: Details on the new Cocoa Burlap Clutch

Sunday, February 22, 2015

Details on the new Cocoa Burlap Clutch




This past week, I wrapped up a brand new clutch bag design that I'm loving. If you follow Lina and Vi's Facebook page, you probably saw a sneak peek photo of it earlier this week. It's now available in our Etsy shop for purchase, so I'm here today to share the details.

I'll start with the fact that the burlap used for this clutch has a different origin - rather than being used a coffee bean sack, the burlap was part of a cocoa bean sack. This cut of burlap was chosen for the deep purple woven thread that was part of the sack's original design. It ran the front and back of the burlap sack entirely. The back of the clutch shows the industrial black printing original to the burlap fabric. If you look closely, you'll see the "cocoa bean" and "produce of" markings. 



I designed this bag to be a clutch that can be held either by its strap or as a handheld clutch where the strap is folded into the inside of the bag. The interior fabric is a gray corduroy, and it includes two inner slide pockets - perfect for storing IDs or money when you'd rather carry a clutch than your wallet or large purse.  The bag secures shut with a fun faux wooden toggle-type button.



This design is meant to be simple, clean, and chic. The purple is an early nod to spring - which I am so eagerly awaiting (hello again negative temperatures this evening, ugh).  Overall, this bag was pretty easy to make, with the exception of the button hole which gave me trouble. I had sewn a practice hole on a piece of scrap fabric, but when I went to make the button hole on the burlap, the foot acted up and sewed only one side twice. Needless to say, I spent a good half hour with my seam ripper pulling that heavy weight thread out of the crevices of the burlap, but I started fresh the next night, and the second button hole turned out beautifully.  All for the love of sewing!

You can find Cocoa Clutch photos, dimensions, and pricing info over on Etsy. Stay warm out there!

Erica


No comments:

Post a Comment