Lina and Vi: Pattern, Stripes, and Prints: The Bean Burlap Tote Bag

Sunday, December 28, 2014

Pattern, Stripes, and Prints: The Bean Burlap Tote Bag

Bean burlap tote bag - Lina and Vi Plymouth MI front view


It's been a busy Christmas week, but as we wind down and prepare for the New Year (and our own NYE party this week), I wanted to drop in to share a few new photos of a new bag design - the Bean tote bag.

This a medium-size bag, measuring 20" wide at it's largest point and 12" tall. It's extremely roomy inside and can easily fit a tablet, wallet, a few books, and a water bottle comfortably along with many small items like phones and keys in the three different interior pockets. The bag sits on a patterned-fabric bottom that is about 3" wide, sewn from a neutral woven heavy-weight upholstery fabric. I found this fabric during my last trip to JoAnn's, and it's amazing. Even the woman who cut this piece of fabric for me commented on the uniqueness of the design.

Bean burlap tote bag - Lina and Vi Plymouth MI bottom view

Bean burlap tote bag - Lina and Vi Plymouth MI zipper view

The real gem of this bag (and something I'm extremely proud of) are the straps. Rather than putting the standard cream woven belting straps, I chose to create the straps by hand from the leftover zigzag woven fabric. I knew I couldn't turn them once I sewed the strap pieces together lengthwise, so I opted for a beige single-fold bias tape trim to conceal the seams. They turned out beautifully, and they are clearly the focal point of this bag. 

With this detailed strap design, I opted to balance it with simple burlap printed fabric that has a centered black printed design on the front and no print on the back burlap fabric. Similarly, the inside fabric is a solid cream and the pockets are a solid white cotton. Clean and simple, so that the main body of the bag isn't trying to overpower the patterned straps.

Bean burlap tote bag - Lina and Vi Plymouth MI top view

Bean burlap tote bag - Lina and Vi Plymouth MI inside view

The Bean tote bag is one of my more cherished bags in the Grounds Collection. I stand proudly next to this design. If you're looking for a bag that is structured and neutral but offers a pop of unexpected personality, then I highly recommend this bag for you. It is now listed in our Etsy shop for purchase...but it may not be for long if I am successful in convincing myself to keep this one for my own closet this winter! 

No comments:

Post a Comment