Lina and Vi: Vacation: San Francisco

Friday, October 17, 2014

Vacation: San Francisco


This past weekend, my husband and I traveled to the west coast for a bit of R&R and celebration of our one year anniversary as a married couple. Things have been relatively quiet in the sewing sphere for me in October as I've been busy with work and preparing for this trip. I'm excited to share a few photos of my life outside of sewing. When I visit other blogs, I tend to gravitate more to the posts and photos that are about personal life. We're all playing the balancing game, and I also love a peek behind the scenes....so I wanted to share a bit about my trip because I'm not always in front of a computer or sewing machine around here!

We visited San Francisco for a long weekend last week. We chose to use AirBNB to book a studio apartment within walking distance of many of the downtown attractions. Honestly, I had some hesitation with this as we had originally booked a place back in June and it was cancelled on us by the homeowner a month before our trip, so I had little faith it would work out, but it ended up being a great choice for us. Of course, the apartment was small, but it was great for two people and likely larger than any hotel room that we could have afforded for the same price in the downtown area. Although we didn't meet our hosts, they were so kind and left us a bottle of wine to welcome us as they knew were on vacation for our anniversary!

We spent the first few days wandering the city mostly on foot, and I was clearly unprepared for the number of hills and steep inclines. As much as I had my moments of complaining about my feet hurting, it was so fun to see these houses and parked cars located on the crazy inclines. Through our wandering, we saw the Embarcadero area by the Bay Bridge, Coit Tower, Russian Hill and the infamous Lombardo winding street (although it was dark by the time I made it up the last incredibly steep hill to get there), Fisherman's Wharf, Chinatown, Japantown. Haight & Ashbury, and Golden Gate Park including the Japanese Tea Garden. We spent a day touring Alcatraz and watching the Blue Angels perform at Fleet Week. To wrap up the trip, we spent the last day in Sausalito visiting the redwoods and sequoias in Muir Woods.

I don't think you can take a bad photo in this city! The bay area is beautiful and full of creative, friendly people.


  

 


We were total tourists the entire time, maybe with the exception of going to a restaurant I really wanted to visit - Foreign Cinema. Or maybe that is a tourist thing to do now that it has been highlighted on the cooking TV shows? I enjoyed our dinner there, and the ambiance and movie was a nice treat for something different.

We arrived back in Michigan after a long and arduous travel day on Monday and several days resetting our internal clocks back to Eastern time. It was a great getaway and would recommend it to others.

Have a great weekend!
Erica


No comments:

Post a Comment