Lina and Vi: Restored Singer Sewing Machine Stand

Tuesday, August 5, 2014

Restored Singer Sewing Machine Stand

restored singer sewing machine - linaandvi.blogspot.com - michigan

While I've been busy sewing these past few days as I've received a number of bulk zipper pouch orders as bridesmaid gifts for weddings, I wanted to share a few photos of a personal project - a Singer sewing machine restored by my husband. I had the opportunity to inherit this sewing machine from my grandmother who had received it from her own family, so this machine has been passed down over time. When my husband looked up the serial number, the number indicated that the machine was manufactured around the 1930's.

My husband loves working with wood and spends most of his spare time in his workshop creating anything from jewelry boxes to cabinets to dresser drawers. He took the past few months to work on restoring the wood and iron on this sewing machine stand, and it truly looks amazing. I don't have 'before' photos to share unfortunately, but the machine had sat for many years in my grandparents' basement, enduring the humidity and moisture that builds up in Michigan homes. So, needless to say, it was in pretty worn condition, including some water damage.

restored singer sewing machine - linaandvi.blogspot.com - michigan

The machine is fully functioning, however the belt between the foot pedal and the machine was warped and has crumbled. That is the only part of the machine which would need a replacement part to our knowledge. All of the wood was sanded down, stained, and finished with a polyurethane gloss. He spray painted the iron stand with black semi-gloss paint and detailed the gold Singer letters by hand with oil-based gold paint. It looks beautiful.

restored singer sewing machine - linaandvi.blogspot.com - michigan

The machine now stands in our living room, and I love it. I love it because it represents a hobby that I love, but at the same time, it's a piece that comes with family history and showcases my husband's hard-work and talent. I even have a few extra vintage bobbins and five or six vintage foot attachments that were stored in the drawers. One day, I'll do some research to know what all of the attachments used to do on this type of machine.

If you are interested in learning more about how this sewing machine stand was restored to its current state, please leave a comment or send me an email and we'd be happy to share more details. For now, this is a beautiful piece of furniture that adds a lot of character and personality to our home.

Thanks for stopping by,
Erica

No comments:

Post a Comment