Lina and Vi: Behind the Bag: Bio Latina

Saturday, April 26, 2014

Behind the Bag: Bio Latina

I'm sharing a few photos I took several weeks ago that show the work in progress as I designed and sewed the Bio Latina messenger bag this month. When I look back at these, I realize how much work goes into each bag - from the initial plan of what pieces are needed and the order to sew them together to arranging the fabric and ironing on the interfacing.

Behind the Bag sketch // Lina and Vi

I'm not sure about others who sew or anyone who starts projects, whether they are small or large, but I realized lately that the hardest part of sewing a bag is getting started. Laying the fabric out, measuring the pieces, marking them off, cutting, ironing, and securing the interfacing is my least favorite part of a sewing project. I'm not sure what it is - maybe I think it's the least exciting because it feels like little progress is being made and seams are not being sewn - but in reality it's the most important part of any sewing project. They don't say measure twice, cut once for no reason, right? The time and care it takes to measure, cut, iron, and plan the project are invaluable to the success of what comes out at the end and rushing or skipping this process always shows in the end.

Bio Latina in progress // Lina and Vi

Even though this is about sewing, I think it's true for many things in life - work projects or meetings, personal relationships, projects around the house, or even major life events. Making a plan can be annoying, depending on how large or small the project is. Drawing a diagram is simple. But taking the time to prepare the setup of materials and think through the process (and remembering to enjoy it!) can be tedious and difficult. There's no instant gratification. I'm not sewing a seam and immediately flipping my piece inside out to see if the result is good or bad. I'm standing in front of a steaming iron and checking to see if the interfacing is properly molding to the burlap. The impact seems so minimal at the time, but it snowballs into the quality of what comes out in the end. The early steps pay off though, in many ways - some that aren't always apparent.

So, even though I hate having to "waste" precious time during the weekday evenings to lay out the fabric and cut everything out, I have to be patient and realize the value of taking the time to do it so it doesn't seem like it's so much effort that I just don't want to even start the project at all. Everyone just needs a running start sometimes, right?!

Have a good weekend!
Erica

No comments:

Post a Comment