Lina and Vi: Wine Bottle Bags

Monday, January 27, 2014

Wine Bottle Bags

Happy Monday!

Today I wanted to share a new project that I've been sewing recently! I've created a burlap wine bottle bag with a handle. It's fully lined in cotton printed fabric. It fits a regularly sized bottle of vino, so it's perfect for anyone who loves to relax at the end of the day with a glass of wine (like me ;-D) or anyone who enjoys giving wine as a gift. I suppose it could also hold a narrow bottle of spirits as well, so your choice!

Here's a photo of the recent bag I made. This is the second bag I've sewn, and I've learned a lot just in a matter of recreating it again.


Sewing a long tubular shape can be pretty difficult. Sometimes, if the fabric is too narrow and there's lining, such as in this case, or heavy fabric, it can be hard to turn it right side out. It takes a lot of patience in some cases. Additionally, with a bag that is lined like this, the lining fabric is attached to the burlap via a seam at the top of the bag opening, so trying to sew a small circle with a standard machine like I have can be tedious. I have to be careful not to grab the other side of the opening and inadvertently sew the opening shut.

As with the other items, no manufactured pattern used to create this bottle bag. It can take some patience to deal with the narrow fabric, so something with a little stretch might be easier to work with but you may want to consider fabric strength because wine bottles can be heavy. Attaching the handle takes some finesse, but it's a great little project that can be done in an hour or so.

A fun little touch to give a gift or carry a bottle as you travel.

Until next time,
Erica

No comments:

Post a Comment