Lina and Vi: Make It: DIY Sewn Felt Cloud Mobile

Wednesday, May 24, 2017

Make It: DIY Sewn Felt Cloud Mobile

DIY Cloud and Moon Mobile - baby nursery - linaandvi.com

If you follow our Facebook page, you will know by now that I am expecting a baby girl in August. As I gear up for everything new ahead, I am trying to find ways where I can create something handmade or buy handmade to decorate our nursery. Today I want to share a short DIY that I worked on a couple of weeks ago for a felt cloud baby mobile. 

I spent a couple of days searching for ideas on Pinterest, and I landed on this DIY post for how to make a cloud mobile on Apartment Therapy. I decided to make a couple of modifications, but all in all, I am happy with how it turned out. I won't spend time walking through a tutorial here since you can find the tutorial in the link above but I will share a couple of highlights on how I modified the design slightly.

First of all, I did not hand-stitch the felt. I busted out my sewing machine and switched to a small zigzag stitch. I do not have the patience or talent to sew well by hand, and I knew the machine would be much faster and easier for me to control.

DIY Cloud and Moon Mobile - baby nursery - linaandvi.com

Second, I opted for stars in lieu of raindrops, since I had yellow scrap felt already on hand. I searched for a quick rounded start template, printed it out, and traced it onto the felt. I used metallic gold thread for the zigzag seams on the stars which gives them a bit of sparkle. I also added a peach moon shape so that I could incorporate some peach in the mobile. 

DIY Cloud and Moon Mobile - baby nursery - linaandvi.com

Last, I used an embroidery hoop to hang the plush items. I painted it in a light peach to match the nursery's color scheme and used clear fishing line to tie everything together. It took me a couple of nights to get everything sewn up and hanging just right. I stuffed these with small bits of polyfill and cotton balls. I am now in search of a hanger to place the mobile, which will be much easier than trying to hang it using another method from our ceiling. I'm excited to have this handmade mobile in our baby's nursery, and I'm equally glad to have been able to flex some of my sewing skills to create it!

I hope you enjoyed this sneak peek in my nursery and found some new inspiration for sewing for a new baby in your life. Enjoy the rest of your week!

Erica



2 comments:

  1. Aw, this is such a cute DIY! I'm tempted to make it for my BFF who's expecting!! And a great week to you too!! xo

    www.girlandcloset.com

    ReplyDelete